LET US GIVE THANKS

Tomorrow being duly reserved by the combined authority of the President and the revised calendar for the giving of thanks, the Faculty has granted occasion for thanksgiving with a holiday.

Already in ten thousand New England barnyards ten thousand fat gobblers have fled in vain from ten thousand little boys with the decapitating hatchet. Already the relatives have been invited, the table has been lengthened, and the family carving-knife sharpened to scimitar-like keenness. It is a joyful day for those men who can go home and bask for even a short space in the delightful aromas of home-cooking. For those who have no friends, and neither money nor time to sit down at the family table, there is always Phillips Brooks. House in the evening and the clinking cider glasses round the jovial board, making merry to the spirit of thankfulness.

The change from the Thanksgiving of those men who, three hundred years ago, came over to a barren soil and here gave thanks for the few advantages that life had given them, to the. Thanksgiving of the present with its traditional dinners, sports and amusements is great.

Yet it is the same New England which in sacrifice can still find much worth while in life. We have cause to be thankful for many things, perhaps most of all that at this time we are Americans. Destiny has flooded us with abundance, where other nations are now given the blackness of ruin. It is not for this that we give thanks. It is for the knowledge that should the same dark hour come to us, and privation be our lot where before was plenty, we could still cast aside the sleekness and contentment that mask our strength and face all hardships with calm fortitude, no less believing in our destiny than those stern Pilgrims from whose stock we come.