PREPAREDNESS WEEK.

The mass meeting in the Union last Friday night started the Preparedness Campaign. As the creditable showing of the Regiment in Saturday's parade convinced the public of Harvard's attitude in regard to military preparedness, so the final numbers enrolling for the summer camps and the naval cruise ought to confirm further this opinion. The review of the Regiment by Major-General Wood will be the culmination of the many hours spent in drill during the winter, but certain good results ought to follow after this last formation.

The very elementary knowledge of military affairs that undergraduates have gained has impressed upon them the urgent necessity of more advanced instruction. Since the summer camps offer a course of training for reserve officers which continues the work already accomplished by the Regiment, the immediate result of this year's drill should be a large delegation from Harvard at the camps this summer.

At no other time in the future will men be able to devote five weeks to military training with so little sacrifice of pleasure or business. A bill has already passed Congress and is waiting the President's signature, which provides for an appropriation to pay the travelling and camp expenses of all men attending the summer training camps. If this bill becomes a law, as it in all probability will, one of the main objections for many men, the question of expense, disappears.

When a man debates whether to give up a month of his summer to a vigorous, healthy life in camp, or to spend it in a summer resort, let him first think of his duty to his country, and then realize that his college vacations may be the only available opportunities to perform this duty.