TESCHNER TOOK SECOND PLACE

UNIVERSITY POLE-VAULTERS ALSO PLACED IN PENN. TRACK CARNIVAL.

In the events of the 23d annual relay carnival held in Philadelphia under the auspices of the University of Pennsylvania on Saturday, the University track men captured one second place and two of them tied for fourth. Captain E. A. Teschner '17 came in second in the 100-yard dash, and C. S. Babbitt '18 and R. W. Harwood '20 were in a quadruple tie for fourth place in the pole-vault, with a jump of 11 feet six inches. The six members of the University who competed, Friday and Saturday secured altogether the record of three second places and two fourths.

The best individual performance of the meet was made by Larsen, of Brigham Young University, who broke the running high jump record with a jump of six feet five and five-eighths inches. A record for freshman teams was broken when the University of Pennsylvania 1920 relay ran the mile in three minutes and 22 seconds.

The summary of the events on Saturday in which the University men figured follows:

100-yard dash: Won by Brewer (Maryland State); second, E. A. Teschner '17; third, Butler (Dubuque). Time not announced.

Pole-vault: Won by Newstetter (Pennsylvania), 12 ft. 6 in.; second, tie between Graham (Chicago) and Landers (Pennsylvania); fourth, tie between Runyon (Penn. State), Sewell (Pennsylvania), C. S. Babbitt '18 and R. W. Harwood '20.

Intercollegiates Called Off.

On Saturday, the executive committee called off the annual championship games of the I. C. A. A. A. A. which were scheduled to take place on Franklin Field, Philadelphia, May 25 and 26. In place of the meet it was suggested to hold a patriotic and athletic demonstration on the day originally set for the games, the proceeds to go to the American Red Cross Fund. The war and the general participation in military training of the students of the members of the I. C. A. A. A. A. were the reasons given for the calling off of the championship games.