University May Raise Teaching Fellows' Pay

By John P. Demos

In the wake of the recently voted increase to $1000 of full-time tuition in the GSAS, Dean Elder indicated yesterday that the general financial condition of the Teaching Fellow will be substantially improved as a result of certain new programs currently being considered by the Corporation.

Details of these plans have not yet been completely worked out, but Dean Elder hopes for a final decision on the matter within two or three weeks.

"Just what form or forms this improvement will take is still being determined by higher authorities," Dean Elder said. "However, it should be at least comparable to the recent faculty salary raises. In fact, what I'm aiming at is to make it a little better."

Dean Elder indicated that the financial source of the proposed "improvement" will be "partly the tuition increases and partly outside monies."

Scholarship Expansion

Dean Elder also disclosed that the GSAS scholarship program will be considerably expanded. He noted that, in the past, students entering the GSAS have never been sure of financial aid for more than two years. According to current plans, however, good students will be assured of help throughout the four-year period of their graduate work.

This will come in the form scholarships, Teaching Fellowships, Research Assistantships or a combination of the three. "We are trying to guard against people being compelled to leave after two years," Dean Elder stated.

National Scholarships

Dean Elder outlined in detail a new GSAS National Scholarship program which will go into effect next year. Students applying for financial aid will henceforth be automatically considered for one of ten four-year National Scholarships in the graduate school.

Each of these will carry a stipend of $2500 per year for the first two years and a total of $4000 for the last two combined.