Yale-Princeton Club.

COMMENT

The amalgamation of the Yale and Princeton Clubs constitutes one of the most curious by-products of our entry into the European conflict. Hitherto college spirit, reaching out after graduation into an alumnus' life, was supposed to bind him to his fellow-alumni by a sort of mystic bond, the outward and visible sign of which usually was a club-house in every sizable community. A man might belong to a dozen societies, but none had such an intimate grip on him as that which bore his alma mater's name. Yet if graduates' clubs are emptied out by the Army and Navy and the Aviation Corps, and club dues no longer meet club expenses, then practical minds must join to take practical measures. It will be an interesting gathering, this of the two alumni of two allegedly different, entirely different, systems of education. Will a casual visitor be able to tell at a glance which of a dozen men lounging in well-upholstered armchairs are Yale and which are Princeton men? It is a pity that Harvard cannot come in on such an experiment, if for no other reason than to find out whether the famous "Made in Harvard" trademark is really so discernible at a glance as ordinary mortals maintain. New York Evening Post