HARVARD RIFLE CORPS.

THE importance of the efforts now being made towards the permanent organization of a battalion amongst the students can scarcely be overestimated. Not only will the general bearing and carriage of the members be improved, but the use of the national weapon, the rifle, will be acquired under the most favorable circumstances.

That the movement is a success beyond the hopes of its projectors cannot be doubted, in view of the interest, amounting even to enthusiasm, manifested by the members who attend the drills. at the gymnasium, and by the large number of names appended to the roll of the battalion, a list daily gaining in strength and influence.

Much, however, yet remains to be done to place the organization on such a footing as to warrant the authorities in applying for arms; and the proceedings at the meetings of the companies held to-day for the election of officers and the establishment of such rules as may be best calculated to insure regular attendance at drills will largely influence their action.

It is necessary that the constitution adopted at the meeting on Tuesday last should be signed by all the members previous to the presentation of a petition to the Faculty for permission to organize and drill.

For this purpose, a copy of the constitution is now ready at the gymnasium, and it is hoped that all students who take an interest in promoting the association will sign it without delay.

Full particulars of everything connected with the organization can be obtained from General Lister, and drills for recruits will be held every evening by him, in addition to those by the company commanders.

DRILL.