GREEK ELECTIVES.

GREEK 5 is the least difficult course, and is intended for the average scholar. It corresponds to Latin 1. Greek 6 and 7 are of a higher grade, equivalent to Latin 2, 3, 5, and are intended to meet the wants of those who are somewhat more ambitious or proficient than the majority. Greek 6 has a historical tendency, and Greek 7 is decidedly philosophical and in this respect the complement of Latin 5.

Greek 3 will include, in addition to the composition, written exercises in translation, and will prepare students for the Second-Year Honor Examination. The course, however, is open to persons of fair proficiency who are not candidates for honors. It corresponds to Latin 4. Greek 4 is adapted only to those students who have already attended the Sophomore instruction in composition.

Greek 1 and 2 are intended to give an easy familiarity with common Greek. The difference between them is as follows: In Greek 1, the work will be done by the teacher, and the ground covered be very considerable; the examinations will refer to the translation only of the books read in the class. In Greek 2, the book used will be a collection of passages from the whole range of Greek poetry; the work will be done by the pupils at sight, and the weight of the examination will be placed - two thirds on the translation of pieces read in the class, one third on the translation of similar pieces at sight.

Classics 1 will be a series of lectures on various subjects, among which Greek Political Antiquities, the Roman Constitution, Greek Mythology, and Comparative Philology may confidently be expected.

In this connection, we are desired to correct a statement in the last Magenta. In Mr. Anderson's courses it is by no means certain that the marks will be determined solely by the results of the examination.