HOW WE TREAT OUR CHAMPIONS.

IT did seem probable that after we had won another race we should have, here at Harvard, some of the old-time interest in boating; that the return to Cambridge of the victorious pennant would set ablaze a fierce enthusiasm for rowing; but now the double triumph of our crew and the addition to Harvard's trophies of two sets of colors arouses a little, feeble interest, which cannot call together a meeting of respectable numbers, and kindles one pitiable spark of enthusiasm, which flickers in a single weak cheer and goes out without a sputter. No more interest, no more enthusiasm, has been manifested over the achievements of the nine.

When we first saw or heard of the victories of last June, we were all glad, extravagantly glad; and we all manifested our extravagant gladness in excited ways. During the vacation we praised the nine and the crew, and told our lady friends how proud we were to belong to the college whence came such noble heroes. Now, however, that we have returned to college, and have come in contact again with these heroes, where they could see and appreciate our admiration and gratitude, and feel rewarded by it, we have forgotten all this gladness. We don't care now about boating or ball. Now we look upon the men who will pull away all winter on those machines just to get on the crew, or pass ball all winter in the Gymnasium just to get on the nine, as a kind of disreputable lunatic. What we think about and care about now is, who is going to get into the clubs, or who will be in the next ten, or how we can obtain this room in Beck, or get the Bursar to give us that room in Holworthy. We have n't time to think about boating or ball. O yes, we'll subscribe; only don't bother us, and we'll pay some time during the winter.

Now this state of affairs is not only disgraceful, but disastrous. When the men who worked hard all last winter, and, in tough struggles, won glory for us all, see their efforts now apparently uncared for and unappreciated, they feel discouraged. It is taking all the spirit out of their work, and threatening to spoil Harvard's chances for next year. What the men on the crew and on the nine need is that encouragement which would be given them by a manifestation of personal interest and pride in what they are doing, - not mere passing interest, dying out with the day of their victory, but permanent, shown by visiting the boat-house and the ball-ground, and watching them at work, and helping them, in a thousand well-known ways, in their self-denial.

Let us all brace up, then, and come forward to take the crew and the nine by the hand, and thank them for all they have done for us; tell them we admire them, and are proud of them, and are watching them; and let us follow them right through the year with our cordial support and encouragement, and help these splendid representatives of ours to keep the championship they have won, right here with old Harvard, where it belongs.