THE CREW.

THE crew's regular practice has been much less interrupted by the examinations than seemed probable. The average pull for the past fortnight has been about 650 strokes, and the average run about one mile and a half. About thirteen candidates have been daily present. Smith, '79, has returned to college, and immediately commenced work.

It is much to be regretted that Mr. Dana, the loss of whose really valuable services is a serious drawback, has decided to cease coaching. His place is now filled by Mr. Loring, '78, from whom the College will expect faithful, painstaking efforts and proportional success. Under his care the crew have slightly improved in catch and reach; but the individual faults have not noticeably decreased.

Bancroft, at stroke, is inclined to use too much swing; but his shoulders and arms are much the best. Jacobs's stroke lacks vigor, particularly on the catch. He drops his hands badly at the end of the recover, - a fault which leads to a serious trick of clipping, when rowing in the boat, - and sticks his right elbow out awkwardly. Schwartz's improvement is marked. Brigham has lost a week, from a slight sickness, and shows plainly the lack of coaching during that time. While Brigham has an admirable physique for an oarsman, he is awkward and a poor waterman, and needs more coaching than almost any of the other candidates. In the recover he starts forward too soon with his body and then makes a decided pause before catching the water. His oar-handle is much too high in the middle of the stroke, and his elbows flop about mysteriously. W. M. Le Moyne, who has been rowing poorly, has slightly improved during the past week. His most noticeable fault is a general lack of smoothness and continuity, all his movements being stiff and changing abruptly, instead of merging easily into one another. His stroke, too, like Jacobs's, has a marked lack of vigor. Legate, while faithful and strong, has some serious faults. The use of his slide is bad throughout, and, when forward, he doubles over his knees instead of opening them and letting his belly down between, which, by the way, would enable him with more ease to get a good reach. He settles at the end of his stroke, lets go of the oar with his outside hand, and does not hold up his head; but all the time he is pulling very hard, and, when cured of his faults, will make a trusty oarsman. F. J. Le Moyne, who has been slightly indisposed, is pulling well, but shows a slight tendency to screw with his body. Crocker, too, is pulling well. He is, however, very light, and seems unable to carry the full power of his catch through the stroke. Littauer, who is one of the most faithful workers, has made marked improvement; and the same would apply to Harriman, who is, however, less regular in his attendance, and whose strength seems to lack that ruggedness which is a marked characteristic of the other candidates for this year's crew. Smith has, of course, fallen some what behind the others during his absence. There is a general looseness and awkwardness about his shoulders; he gets his hands away from his body too slowly, and is consequently inclined to bucket. Simmons uses his slide too soon in the recover, and seems unable to get down between his legs when on the full reach. Stow constantly fails to keep his shoulders firmly back, and has a trick of meeting his oar. He and Simmons, while strong promising men, are still too green to be fairly criticised. Preston's extraordinary length of limb renders it impossible to discuss his rowing on the same principles with that of the others, and the writer has not had an opportunity to give to him the requisite additional attention.

C.