FREDRICUS VAN RASSELAS LIVINGSTON.

AFTER VIRGIL (CONSIDERABLY).

I SING of love and of the man who once from Manhattan shores, propelled by steam, came to Cambridge and the banks of Charles, having suffered much while passing the sandy Point Judith, on account of the unrelenting rage of cruel Neptune.

When pious Fredricus ascended into the well-built trireme, his mind, revolving many things, determined that the yawning cavity beneath his belt was empty, and that it cried aloud for sustenance (in fact, Fredricus was grub-struck).

Already the swarthy Ethiops had prepared the feast; some had torn the skin from the ribs and laid the flesh bare; and others had placed the brazen caldrons and prepared the fires, and the hash was served.

Now, when Fredricus had taken away from himself the desire for eating and drinking, he saw next him a lovely maiden eating alone, and, Venus prompting him, he thus addresses her: "O Virgin, by what name shall I call thee? O thou a goddess surely! Art thou a sister of Phoebus, or one of the race of nymphs? O, be propitious, and whoever thou art, - brace up on your supper and take a stroll on deck."

Him the maiden answered, "O goddess-born, having the radiant freshness of youth, I deem not myself worthy of the honor, and my sister's name is not Phoebe but Bridget, and mine 's Mary Ann, and shove us the salt."

And now they walk the deck of the well-built trireme, and hearken to the music of the flute-playing Germani, and Fredricus is moved as to his heart with love, but Neptune, growing angry at Venus's having it all her own way, calls the winds. And they plough up the deep from its lowest bottom, and roll vast billows to the shores, and a steep mountain of water follows the well-built trireme, and Fredricus and Mary Ann are smitten with a terrible sensation. (In English, they are sea-sick.)

Then Fredericus addressed unwinged words to Mary Ann: "O thou goddess, what age has brought thee forth? while shadows move round the convex mountains, while heaven feeds the stars, your name and praise I shall sing to whatever clime I may be called, - but I must leave you now, as the confounded swell is ordering up my supper."

"And didst thou hope, too, perfidious one, to steal away from me? Cruel one, wilt thou fly from me? If ever thou sawest any beauty in my face, if yet there is any room for prayer, I implore thee, stay, O stay, and hold my head."

Fredricus held his eyes unmoved, and with hard struggles suppressed the anxious care in his throat, and said: "Ta ta, Mary Ann, I'll see you later"; and then he sought the seclusion that his cabin afforded.

M.