THE CLASS RACES.

A WEEK from to-morrow, if the weather is favorable, the class races will be rowed over the Charles River course. There are several objections to keeping up the custom of class races in the autumn, the principal of which are the liability to bad weather, and the shortness of time that can be had for training; but these are more than over-balanced by the advantages that are derived from the practice. It gives an impetus to rowing, trains men to row a race, and affords the captain of the 'Varsity an opportunity of examining men who may become candidates for a seat in the University boat.

The three class upper-class crews which will contest next week are all seemingly well matched. The Senior crew has presumably a slight advantage over the others, and is composed of the following men: C. H. W. Foster (bow); Swan (2); Hemenway (3); Hammond (4); Otis (5); Howard (6); Freeland (7); Brandegee (stroke). All these men are identified with the rowing interests of their class, and four pulled in the University Crew last year. In weight they average nearly 170 lbs., and considering the short time that they have rowed together this autumn, they now pull in very good form.

The Juniors have lost Bartlett, who had two years' experience as captain, and as yet the men who will row the race have not been finally chosen. About fifteen men have been training, and some good new material has been brought out. The positions are not yet decided upon.

Between the Sophomores and Seniors the most exciting struggle is expected. The former have their old crew of last spring, with one exception. The men row well together, make fast time, and stand a very good chance of winning. They average 168 lbs., and will probably row as follows: Curtis (stroke); Cabot (7); Hammond (6); Belshaw (5); Sawyer (4); Burch (3); Perin (2); Sherwood (bow).

It is also expected that the Freshmen will send an eight over the course, in which case they will be allowed several lengths' start.