THE LAST HOURS OF A SINGLE GENTLEMAN.

[For the Associated Press.]

THIS morning, at half-past eleven precisely, an unfortunate young man, Mr. T. Jones, underwent the extreme penalty of infatuation, by expiating his attachment to Miss Mary Smith in front of the altar railings at St. Marys-in-the-fields.

It will be in the recollection of all those friends of the parties who were at the Jones's party at Chelsea two years ago, that Mr. J. was there, and there first was introduced to Mary Anne, to whom he instantly began to direct particular attention, dancing with her innumerable times, and handing her things at supper in the most devoted manner. That this attention should be very marked is not strange when the extreme simplicity of the girl's features are taken into consideration. From that period began the intimacy between them which resulted in this morning's catastrophe.

Poor Jones had barely attained to his twentieth year, but there is great reason to believe that but for reasons of a pecuniary nature, his single life would have come to an earlier end. A change for the better in his circumstances taking place, the young lady's friends sanctioned his addresses and thus became accessories to the course for which he has just suffered.

The unhappy man passed the last night of his bachelor existence in his solitary chamber. From 8 till 10 he was busily engaged in writing last letters. Shortly before 11 his brother Henry knocked at the door, when the doomed man told him in a firm voice to come in. The question was then put as to how he thought he should sleep, and his brother, on receiving a satisfactory answer, then took an affectionate farewell, first having seen that his brother was well supplied with cigars and brandy.

Precisely at a quarter to seven the victim of Cupid, having been called according to his desire, rose and promptly dressed himself. He had sufficient self-control to shave himself without the slightest injury. It would seem as if he had devoted a longer time than usual to his toilet.

He was attired in a light-blue dress coat, with frosted metal buttons, a white waistcoat and nankeen trousers, with patent leather shoes. He wore round his neck a variegated satin scarf, in the front of which was inserted a breastpin of conspicuous dimensions. Having descended the staircase with a quick step, he entered the apartment where his brother and a few friends were awaiting him. He shook hands cordially with all present, and on being asked how he had slept, answered, "Very well;" and to the further demand as to the state of his mind, he said, "Reasonably happy."

Breakfast was then served, when he are the whole of a roll, a large round of roast, two sausages, and three new-laid eggs, which he washed down with two great cups of breakfast tea.

Having inquired the time, and ascertained that it was ten minutes to eleven, he remarked that it would soon be over. After drinking a glass of ale he appeared strengthened, and, as the fatal moment was approaching, he devoted the remaining portion of his time to distributing among his friends those little articles which he would no longer want. To one he gave his cigar-case, to another his pipes and tobacco-pouch, and he charged his brother with his latch-key, with instructions to deliver it, after all was over, to his landlady.

Arrived at the spot of the tragedy, a short but anxious delay of some seconds took place, after which they were joined by the lady and her friends. Little was said on either side; but Miss Smith, with customary decorum, shed tears. Jones endeavored to preserve composure, but a slight twitching in his mouth and eyebrows proclaimed his inward agitation.

All requisite preliminaries having been settled and the prescribed melancholy formalities gone through, the usual question was put: "Wilt thou have this woman for thy wife?" To which the rash youth answered, "I will," in a clear and distinct voice. He then put the fatal ring on Miss Smith's finger, the hymeneal noose was adjusted, and the poor fellow was launched into matrimony.