NOTES AND COMMENTS.

Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure" has just been added to Rolfe's series of texts.

The Chicago Historical Society proposes a celebration of the 200th anniversary of the discovery of the Mississippi by La Salle.

"The Concepts and Theories of Modern Physics," by J. B. Stallo, has recently been added to the "International Scientific Series."

A writer in Lippincott's says that "Woman is primarily a being who listens. In her capacity for hearing without obeying lies her true power."

The Appletons will soon publish a library edition of Bryant's works in six octavo volumes edited by Park Godwin, with a biography of the poet.

Political slate for 1884. - For President, Oscar Wilde; for Vice-President, another like him. Expenses to be paid from barrels of both Republicans and Democrats. Platform-Tariff for the True and Beautiful only. - [Yale News.

The feelings of the great Sunflower have been hurt by the newspaper talk. He complains: "I heard much about the character of American journalism in England. If you expect English gentlemen to come to your country, especially gentlemen of letters and art, you must improve the character of your journalism. I do not intend to come to this country again until this thing is changed." Which is certainly a delightfully naive speech for Oscar to make.

At a meeting of the trustees of Boston University, the 25th, it was unanimously voted to establish in the academic department, or college of liberal arts, sixty-four free scholarships for the benefit of deserving and needy students. These will be divided equally between the sexes. They will be administered by the faculty according to regulations now in process of preparation. In grateful commemoration of the munificent legacy of Mr. Rich, which amounts to nearly $1,000,000, these new foundations will be perpetually known as "the Isaac Rich scholarship."