Harvard Lampoon Claims The Crimson Endorsed Trump at Pennsylvania Rally

Mass. DCR to Begin $1.5 Million Safety Upgrades to Memorial Drive Monday

Sports

Harvard Football Topples No. 16/21 UNH in Bounce-Back Win

Sports

After Tough Loss at Brown, Harvard Football Looks to Keep Ivy Title Hopes Alive

Harvard’s Greenhouse Gas Emissions Increased by 2.3 Percentage Points in 2023

NOTES AND COMMENTS.

It is announced that a Greek or Latin play - either the "Captives" of Plautus, or the "OEdipus Tyrannus" will be given soon by the students of the University of Notre Dame, Indiana.

General Francis A. Walker, President of the Mass. Institute of Technology, and lately Superintendent of the Census of the United States, will give four lectures in Sever 11 on Tuesday evenings, April 18th and 25th, and May 2d and 9th, at half-past seven. The subject of the first two lectures will be "American Agriculture;" of the last two, "American Manufactures."

The intercollegiate lacrosse games will be as follows : May 3, Columbia vs. New York University, at Polo grounds : May 13, Princeton vs. New York University, at Princeton; May 13, Harvard vs. Columbia, at Cambridge; May 20, Harvard vs. New York University, at Cambridge; June 1, Harvard vs. Princeton, at Princeton.

The University of Pennsylvania objects because of Yale's exclusiveness in the matter of accepting challenges from colleges other than Harvard for university races, while she is very ready to accept them for foot-ball or base-ball games. At New Haven there is considered to be a possibility of the Harvard-Yale race this year falling through; then the challenge from Pennsylvania might be accepted. The Pennsylvanians desire the establishment of another inter-collegiate rowing association.

A polo club has been formed at Brown, and has accepted a challenge from Yale to play at Providence, March 22, and at New Haven the following Friday. There is much complaint at Brown because of the lack of facilities for athletic training there and the consequent languishing interest in college sports. The Brown correspondent of the Advertiser says : "Students read with feelings of envy the accounts of the exercises at the Hemenway Gymnasium, and hope the time may come when some generous alumnus will remember the wants of Brown in this particular.

Questions propounded by an E. C. [esteemed contemporary] for solution by the class in Freshman Physics : What velocity must a locomotive have to pick up a deaf man walking on the track and fling him so high that six cars pass before he comes down? A mother standing at the gate calls to her boy who is exactly sixty-eight feet distant. It takes two minutes and twenty-two seconds for the sound to reach him. - Find from this the velocity with which a woman's voice travels. A woman arrives at the depot three minutes ahead of train time; she has to kiss seven persons, say good-by to thirteen others, send her love to twenty-two relatives, and see to four parcels; she accomplishes it all and has forty-one seconds to spare to tell a dear friend how to mix seven different ingredients into a mince pie. - How long did it take the train to reach Chicago?

The following article on amateur boxing from the N. Y. Sportsman will be of interest : The youth who can use his hands well will rarely resort to a knife or a pistol, as the fist is much quicker than any concealed weapon, and, like the Irishman's shillelagh, never misses fire. The simple fact that boxing teaches self-reliance to a boy ought to be recommendation enough to paterfamilias, who should encourage his son to become proficient in the art of "hit, stop and get away." A broken head is soon remedied, but a cold leaden pill or a cruel thrust of a knife has cost many a life, and any one who resorts to these weapons, excepting when his life is in danger, is a contemptible coward, without a spark of manhood in his breast, and a disgrace to the Anglo-Saxon race. The accomplishment of boxing should be a part of every American boy's education, as much as fencing or quarter-staff was in the days of "Bluff King Hal."