No Headline

WILLIAMSTOWN, Nov. 7, 1882. - Still another secret society! Will wonders never cease? This time it is not some presumptuous fraternity which has disturbed the serenity of the college by establishing a chapter here; but a local junior society has sprung itself upon us without a word of warning. Great mystery surrounds the organization so that not even its name is known. Eight juniors display the octagonal silver badge, and rumor has it that there are as many more sub rosa members among the sophomores. All similar attempts in the past at establishing class societies have proved failures, but we see no reason why the present one should meet a similar fate. The members are all men of high social standing, several being members of the fraternities represented here.

After a long agitation of the matter the two literary societies have united in forming the Williams College congress. The 'Logian Society acts as the senate and the 'Technian as the house of representatives. The U. S. Congress is taken as the model and closely followed in all its workings. The movement has awakened a new interest in the societies, attracting a largely increased membership in each. Thus far the success of the plan has fully met the expectations of its originators, and seems now to give promise of being a permanent success.

The annual joint debate between the two societies will take place immediately after the Thanksgiving recess. Messrs. Pierson, '83, Hubbard, '83, and Burke, '84, represent the Technians, and Holmes, F. D. Smith, and Badger, '83, the 'Logians.

The subjects announced for the Graves prize essays for the senior class this year are : "The American Judiciary and its Dangers," "The Imperfections of the Jury System," "Modern Inventions as Related to Human Happiness," "The Influence of Physical Conditions on Moral Character," "Athens in the Time of Pericles," "The University of Oxford," "Author of 'Rob and His Friends,' " "John Quincy Adams," "Partisan History," "Howells as a Critic of American Life," "The Unrest of the Age as Expressed in its Poetry."

The success of the fall meeting has greatly stimulated the general interest in athletics, and some excellent work is being accomplished on the campus and in the gymnasium. It is probable that a college foot-ball eleven will soon be selected from the class teams and put in the field The sophomores and freshmen have each very strong elevens, and a close and exciting game between them is expected soon.

The Lawn Tennis Association formed a short time ago has already become a thing of the past, though the interest shown in private courts seems to be unabated. The ball nine will go into regular daily training in the gymnasium next term, and it is expected that Keefe will drill them for a couple of weeks in the spring. A new campus will be fitted up in the spring and an earnest and enthusiastic movement made to "boom" our nine.

PUMINNEY.