SPORTING.

The following on "Running as an Exercise," from the Turf, Field and Farm, is of such general interest that we clip it entire:

Running as an exercise for those who never intend to go on the cinder path, has this great advantage over all others, that they can get as much good out of it in five minutes as they can out of another in half an hour or an hour, not to include its harmonious working of most of the muscles of the body at the same time. A man who runs a mile in say five minutes, gets as much exercise as the one who walks five miles an hour. Running, to be most effective, should be commenced gradually and then increased according as the lungs are able to use the oxygen taken into them, until the highest obtainable speed is reached, when it should decrease slowly to a walking pace once more. By observing these precautions, one is sure of not suffering from dizziness or overstraining, or of being chilled by a sudden cessation of quick movements, especially on a cold or windy day. Running is not a pastime in which heavy men ought to engage, as a rule, as they are liable to injure themselves in anything like a spurt, unless they have been carefully trained, and all the superfluous adipose matter burned away in gradual, but steady work. Most ordinary persons can indulge in it, however, without any fear of bad results, provided they are only careful to commence gradually and not try to do too much at a time. The proper attitude in running is with the chest well forward, the head leaning slightly back, the body straight on the hips, the arms close to the upper ribs and the fists closed, but in mere exercise it is best to give your arms more freedom, and to work them back and forward, in order to bring the muscles of the shoulders into play. The legs should be sent from the hips in as straight a line as possible, and when they come down their hold of the ground should be firm, so as to use the muscles of the thighs to the best advantage. Those who have become famous on the cinder path, or those who resort to running for exercise, are much more evenly and gracefully developed than those who practice gymnastics, rowing or walking event, for these act only on certain portions of the body, whereas the former calls on all parts alike. Runners are also much more elastic in movement, and their muscles respond with a readiness that is entirely unknown among those who aim at mere strength or the development of a certain part; hence it follows that persons who desire to possess quick, active muscles, a full, rounded evenly-developed body, a deep chest and a lithe, graceful carriage, should make running one of their favorite exercises.

Myers when going at full speed is a model runner, both in the pose of the body and the way in which the limbs work, for he carries the head well back, the chest advanced, and the body straight on the hips, while the legs are swung straight ahead and come down on the ground with a directness that enables him to use their muscular force to the fullest extent. He is a far better type of a runner than his English rival, for the latter often extends his body forward, and uses his limbs much as the steamboats on shallow, narrow rivers do their single wheel in the stern, hence he cannot obtain their full driving power out of them in short distances.-[Ex.

At the recent games of the New York Athletic Club the records were as follows: 100 yards dash, 10 4-5 sec.; 220 yards, 25 3/4 sec.; 300 yards, 31 2-5 sec. W. C. George ran a 1000 yards dash, giving a start of 45 yards to his opponent, but was defeated.