THE SPORTING AND ATHLETIC WORLD.

GENERAL NOTES.

The New York Yacht Club has now 373 members.

It is claimed that a Paris athlete recently ran 13 1/2 miles in one hour.

A $10,000 purse is offered in the trotting races at Rochester, July 4th.

The use of the bicycle has extended to China, where the natives take very kindly to them.

In the recent sports between Oxford and Cambridge, the latter won five out of the nine events.

J. S. Prince will endeavor to beat the best bicycle record at the Institute Fair Building on April 29.

The Narragansett Yacht Club has been recently organized, and will have a club house at Newport, R. I.

A lawn tennis tournament is going to be held in Philadelphia May 25, 26 and 27, which will be open to all comers.

The university crew at Pennsylvania University will be chosen from the class crews after the class races on April 29th.

The Duke of Hamilton's Fiddler, son of the American horse Preakness, won the Great Metropolitan Stakes at Epsom.

Rowell has challenged Hazael, through the London Sporting Life, to a six-days race, to take place at Agricultural Hall, for pound500 a side.

The first annual meeting of the secretaries of the New York cricket clubs was held at Delmonico's, New street, on Friday, 21st of April, at four P. M.

The Yale freshman nine will probably be organized as follows: Lyons, P; Merrill, H; Terry, A; Richards, B; Buffum, C; Noyes, S; Bretton, L; Gorham, M; Benedict, R.

Interest in la crosse is "booming" throughout the country. The annual tournament of the National La Crosse Association, for which clubs from Boston, Baltimore, Louisville, New York, Harvard, Princeton and New York University are expected to enter, will probably be held some time in June. The annual meeting of the association on May 6 will fix the date. The dates of the college championship games are as follows: May 3, on New York polo grounds, Columbia vs. New York University; May 6, Columbia vs. Harvard, in Cambridge; May 13, Princeton vs. New York University, at Princeton; May 20, Harvard vs. Princeton, at Cambridge. Yale proposes to organize a university la crosse team in the fall. The Institute of Technology will probably organize a team soon.