No Headline

Professor Richard's paper on the advantages of college athletics furnishes nothing that is very new on the subject. It is mostly a collection of the old ideas presented in an attractive form by one who has had a large personal experience at Yale. He shows much interest in the matter and this is but natural as his son is a prominent member of the football eleven. In this paper he speaks only of the advantages gained, and on this side he has almost all the prominent educators to back him. Indeed in one place he quotes a long passage from a report of President Eliot, published several years ago. Professor Richards makes a good argument when he says that the college world in athletics is like a miniature republic the training in which fits men to command and obey, and gives them power of organization which will be of use to them in the world outside of college.

This and his argument that exercise to be most beneficial should be such as will interest the mind, are the newest and freshest, adding something to the long list already upholding the benefits of the system of college exercise. In a second paper he proposes to speak of the evils, which he thinks exaggerated, attending athletics in their present condition and of the means by which these evils may be remedied in the future. The appearance of this paper is awaited with some eagerness to see what view a prominent Yale professor takes on this subject which is at present agitating the whole college world.