TELEGRAPHIC BREVITIES.

FROM THE BOSTON HERALD.

Stocks yesterday in New York were very dull and sluggish.

Gen. Forsythe has struck a hostile Apache band and killed a number of them.

An extensive labor strike has been inaugurated in Chicago among team owners.

One vessel has been damaged and another wrecked in the ice off Newfoundland.

The people of California have resolved to boycot the Chinese and all who deal with them.

Sexton defeated Shaefer at billiards last evening in New York by a score of 600 to 538.

The mass meeting of working-men advertised to be held at Lynn to consider the situation of the Lawrence strikers, has been postponed.

The newspapers today contain glowing tributes to Emerson, who died of pneumonia last evening at 8.50 P. M., at his home in Concord.

There were stirring scenes at the examination of Mr. Blaine yesterday. The ex-Secretary carried everything before him, and used harsh words with Mr. Belmont in regard to the latter's construction of certain acts in his foreign policy.

Congress. - In the House yesterday Messrs. Lynch and Chalmers, contestants for a seat from Mississippi, opposed each other in speeches on the floor. The marine danger signal bill was passed. In the Senate there was a tie party vote on the question relating to certification of bank checks. The House anti-Chinese bill came up, and a bill was introduced to regulate the coinage of standard silver dollars. A message from the President was received by both houses relating to the late Indian outbreak.

Base-ball yesterday : At Philadelphia - Bostons, 12; Philadelphias, 12; game called in the 10th inning on account of darkness. At New York - Metropolitans, 9; Chicagos, 2. At Cleveland - Clevelands, 19; Allegheneys, 5. Bond being disabled with a lame shoulder and Richmond having shown up very poorly in practice games, the Worcesters have signed J. G. Clarkson of the Beacons for pitcher. Harry Wright was negotiating with him to take the place of Ward, who has a bad arm, when he was engaged by Worcester.

THE WEATHER.WASHINGTON, D. C., April 28, 1882 - 1 A. M. For New England, partly cloudy weather and rain, variable winds, stationary or lower barometer, stationary or higher temperature.