The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

No Headline

it being more evenly distributed in the latter.

In connection with this rule, we would call the attention of the Faculty to the fact that a written agreement, signed by the graduate committee of the Boat Club, whose appointment was confirmed by the Faculty themselves, exists between Harvard and Yale, agreeing to row a race this year, unless one of the parties to the agreement shall be notified to the contrary before December 1st.

Rule eight provides:

"That the students of colleges in which these resolutions are in force shall not be allowed to engage in games or contests with the students of colleges in which they are not in force."

Our objection to this rule is that it seems injudicious to attempt to coerce other colleges into an agreement from which their better judgment shrinks; that it lessens the number of possible rivals; and that it may prevent us from meeting at all the representatives of a college which has always been our for3most rival in every sport, and in the contests with which the greatest interest and enthusiasm have been shown.

The following, as a whole, then, are the main objections to the rules as they stand:

1st. They make use of the rule against professionalism as a means of securing support for particular measures, to which there are many objections.

2d. They make radical changes, for which no necessity exists.

3d. They invalidate agreements, some of which have been made by and with the sanction of a "graduate committee," appointed in accordance with the desire of the faculty itself.

4th. The general effect of these resolutions is to defeat one of the ends in view, namely, making athletics more general by lowering the standard and lessening the general interest.

Finally, these resolutions will seriously affect many of our athletic sports, as will be seen by the following statement:

The boat club has had a crew in training for several months to row four-mile races with Yale and with Columbia; if these resolutions are to be enforced as they stand, the whole course of training will have to be changed, thus impairing our chances of victory; unless Yale agrees to the rules, the prime purpose for which the crew is in training will have to be abandoned, as the race cannot be rowed. In case the race with Yale is abandoned, it is believed that the race with Columbia will not cause sufficient interest to keep the crew together, this race will also be given up, and our rowing interests will be seriously compromised.

The baseball nine will suffer in a very similar way, by the necessary abandonment of games with many colleges. They will also be forced to give up the annual series of games with the Beacons, and will even be prevented from playing with a nine picked from the graduates of this college, as has been customary heretofore. Being obliged to contend with weaker nines, the games will be one-sided and uninteresting.

The effect- on the football team would be strictly analogous. They would be prevented from playing elevens from Canada, as these would be amateur organizations, or would come from colleges not represented in the association.

In reference to lacrosse and cricket we would say that all other colleges where these sports are indulged in are grouped together, but are at a distance from us. The only teams with which we can practise in order to prepare our team to compete on equal terms with those of other colleges are amateur organizations, which are ruled out in these resolutions.

The Athletic Association, under these rules, will be forced to withdraw from the Inter-collegiate Association in which it has taken a leading part for several years past, since it is not believed that these rules will be accepted by all the colleges in the association and those who do not accept them will have the right to retain the organization as at present constituted. This will necessitate the surrendering of the valuable championship cup, which has been held by Harvard for several years past, and will diminish or destroy our chance for its final possession. There are a number of other lesser sports which will be interfered with in a corresponding degree, as can easily be seen from what has already been said.

In view then of all these facts, and of the reasons which undoubtedly exist for the change or entire revocation of these rules, we respectfully petition, on behalf of the athletic organizations, to represent which we have been elected by the students, that the vote of the faculty, by which these resolutions were accepted, be reconsidered.