None

No Headline

The outlook for our success in foot-ball this fall is very bright. Of course it may be as yet a little early to make any predictions but we have already seen the candidates for the team at practice regularly for over two weeks, as well as in their game with Wesleyan and we are certainly able to tell pretty well what the material on hand will amount to. Although so few of our old men remain, there are plenty of new men ready and anxious to fill the vacancies, and moreover there is more than usual enthusiasm manifested by the college at large in the work of the team, and this alone is very gratifying and encouraging to the players. The principal fault apparent in the play of the men is a lack of quickness in picking up the ball and a want of sureness in catching it. Of course there are other small faults, but the good paints more than over-balance these. The men are particularly good in rushing, and show great progress in kicking. Considering the short time they had for practice and the great number of new men on the eleven that played on Saturday, we have every reason to congratulate ourselves on their victory, and a good right to look for excellent playing in the near future. The freshmen also are doing well, although of course they will have to improve wonderfully before they will be in condition to meet their Yale opponents.

We repeat that we think that no one need be in the least discouraged by Saturday's game, but on the contrary they should feel very great confidence in the team of 1883, and express it in a substantial manner both by their presence at practice and by subscribing liberally to the funds of the Foot-Ball Association.

It must not be supposed that because the foot-ball management was so successful last year as to leave quite a large surplus for this year's expenses, that the team does not need money, although all the important games will be played away from Cambridge this year, where the team will not have the support of the college either financially or otherwise. The most important factor in the calculation for the expenses of the year is the Yale game at New York on Thanksgiving Day. Should the weather on that day be unfavorable our main reliance will be gone. The team needs support and is certainly doing all it can to show that it deserves it.