BICYCLE HARE AND HOUNDS.

The third hare and hounds run of the Bicycle Club took place on Thursday. The hares, Messrs. White '85 and Appleton '87, started at twenty-five minutes before four and six minutes later the main body of the hounds started, headed by Captain Smith ; a minute later still Messrs. Norton and Matthewson, who were thus handicapped, started and were accompanied by Mr. Bigelow, a past member of the club. The scent was very bad at start and the handicapped men soon caught up. At the Longwood bridge the scent was lost for more than 15 minutes and again farther on owing to the badness of the scent and the ingenious lying of an Irishman an equal amount of time was lost. After about five miles of the course had been covered the scent improved. The course lay through Brookline and Jamaica Plain to Chestnut Hill reservoir. Here Mr. Matthewson and Mr. Norton made up their handicap but again the scent was lost and the other hounds caught up again. The hounds just beyond the reservoir broke for home. Norton led till beyond Allston with Matthewson and Slocumb just behind. It was then so dark that it was unsafe to spurt so as it was impossible for the handicapped men to gain twenty seconds on Mr. Slocumb and forgetting there was a third prize it was resolved to ride in together. Mr. Matthewson led at the finish by a few inches over Mr. Norton who was just ahead of Mr. Slocumb. The hares, who covered about 18 miles to the hounds 21, take first prizes, Mr. Slocumb takes second and Mr. Matthewson third. The other hounds were a few minutes behind. The hares had never ridden as hares before and the badness of the scent as a whole was due to this fact.