HARVARD ANNEX.

The reports of the officers of the Society for the collegiate education of women, familiarly known as the "Annex" contain a great deal of interesting information. At the end of the past year, certificates were for the first time granted to graduates who had completed a four year's course of study. Certificates were granted to three students setting forth that the recipients had "pursued a course of study equivalent in amount and quality to that for which the degree of Bachelor of Arts is conferred in Harvard College, and has passed in a satisfactory manner examinations on that course, corresponding to the college examinations." A fourth student received a certificate to the effect that she had "successfully pursued, through a period of four years, a course of Liberal study given under the auspices of this Society by instructors in Harvard College." In addition to these two certificates, there is another which is given to students at the completion of each year of study. Three of the graduates are now engaged in teaching. In addition to the graduates, quite a number of former students are now teachers. The numbers of students during the past year was forty-one, of whom thirty were from Massachusetts. Of these 23 studied Greek, 22 Latin, 15 English, 14 German, 11 Mathematics, 9 History, 8 Physics, 5 Philosophy, 5 Botany, 4 French and 4 Astronomy. The students were divided among twenty-seven courses in the various subjects.

The original fund for the support of the Society is now about exhausted, but the executive committee hope to secure a permanent fund, to which $67,000 has already been contributed, so that the Society is in a fair way of becoming a fixed institution.