THE INDEX.

The long expected Index is now in press and will be issued next Monday. Judging from the advance sheets which have been placed in our hands, we think the book compares favorably with the former volumes, both in appearance and in subject matter. It is bound in a neat paper cover with the title printed in crimson ink. The contents are of necessity much the same from year to year. This volume however contains several important changes and additions. For the first time the Total Abstinence League appears with a list of officers and members. The Philological Society disappears, but the Philosophical Club still remains although it has ceased to exist as a college organization, as its members are limited to graduates-we believe, however, that this club has shown some signs of life within the last few days. The Art Club presents a deceptive appearance of activity, with a long list of executive officers, averaging one to every four members. Among the new organizations, are the Reading Room Association and the Brass Band. The latter contains twenty-three members, confined mostly to the two lower classes, and ought to afford the college much entertainment in the spring with open-air concerts. The Union as usual presents a formidable list of members numbering one hundred and twenty-three.

The latter part of the book is taken up with a list of the college athletic associations, among which the Polo Club appears for the first time, and with the customary athletic records. These have been carefully prepared and important additions have been made in giving the best Harvard records and the measurements of the '86 crews, besides the measurements of the university crew. We should prefer to see the athletic associations given preference in point of space to the Harvard Clubs which are not very important to the students and could well be placed at the end of the book. The work forms a valuable guide to the societies and athletics of our college and should be in the hands of every student. We cannot but regret however, that a book which contains so much useful information must necessarily appear so late in the year.