HARVARD UNIVERSITY CALENDAR.

February, 1883 - No. 73.

FEBRUARY 11 - SUNDAY.

Appleton Chapel, 7.30 P. M. Rev. Noah Porter, D. D., President of Yale College. "Some Thoughts on Christianity as an Ethical System."

Rev. J. H. Thayer, D. D., will conduct week-day morning prayers during February.

12. MONDAY.Second half-year begins this day.

History of Tariff Legislation. I. 1789-1820. Mr. F. W. Taussig. Sever 11, 7.30 P. M. This is the first of a series of four lectures, which will cover the history of tariff legislation from 1789 to the present time. They will be given on successive Mondays.

13. TUESDAY.Law Faculty. Meeting at President's house, 7.30 P. M.

Chamber Concert. Beethoven Club. Sever 11, 8 P. M. Tickets at Sever's.

14. WEDNESDAY.Lithology. Special subject: Meteorites. Dr. Wadsworth. Museum of Comparative Zoology, 2 P. M.

Physiology and Hygiene. Special subject: Respiration - How to increase the size of the Chest. Prof. Sargent. Sever 11, 2 P. M.

Divinity Hall Lectures. Subject: English in the Pulpit. Prof. A. S. Hill. Divinity Chapel, 7.30 P. M.

Greek Readings. The Bacchae of Euripides. (First third.) Prof. Dyer. Sever 11, 7.30 P. M.

15. THURSDAY.Assyrian Antiquities. Special subject: Temples and Ritual. Prof. Lyon. Divinity Hall Upper Lecture Room, 12 M.

Harvard Finance Club. The Sub-Treasury System. Dr. J. Laurence Laughlin. Sever 11, 7.30 P. M.

The third SENIOR FORENSIC will be due March 1.

The second JUNIOR FORENSIC will be returned February 16, from 10 to 12 A. M., in Sever 1.

The fourth forensic will be due March 9, from 11 to 12 A. M., in Sever 3. Subjects: 1. What is the cause of the great increase of novel writing at the present day? 2. Is success the true measure of ability? 3. The power of the press in politics. 4. Was the opposition to the war of 1812 by the Federalists justifiable? 5. Do the climatic and geographical features of a country have an influence in forming the character of the people? 6. Is Mr. Henry James a true delineator of American character?

The fourth JUNIOR THEME will be due Feb. 20.

SOPHOMORE RHETORIC.After the mid-year examinations Professor Hill will discontinue his lectures on Thursday, at 2 P. M., and the hour will be occupied by the other English instructors. Mr. Drennan will meet sections I. and II. on Thursday, at 2 P. M., in Sever 11. Mr. Wendell will meet sections III. and IV. on Tuesday, at 11 A. M., in the same place.

Students who have a conflict at either of these hours will take the other; in such cases notice is to be given to both instructors.

English Readings. Prof. Child will begin a course of readings on Monday evening, March 12, at Sever 11.