CORNELL TROUBLED.

"Cornell University as founded," writes a correspondent of a Western paper, "a radically Democratic institution is rapidly being 'prexy'-cotted into one of the most conservative of colleges and is assuming all the demoralizing features of the paternal form of government. . . . The faculty is also said to be divided against itself. Vague rumors reaches the students of an aweinspiring dignitary seated in his 'old carved oaken chair of state.' It is vaguely intimated that at times he seems to consider his high-backed chair a throne, and the necks of his meek contemporaries adjustable footstools. It is hinted that the executive whip is cracked with a facility that could only have been acquired by a prolonged apprenticeship at a German court. If such is the condition of things in the mysterious precincts of the faculty room it may be that the apprentice is acting on the principle that a little royalty is a dangerous thing and is therefore drinking deep draughts of sovereignty's ambition till an appreciative public shall say 'Come up to a higher and a more political sphere.' Whether this is actually the case or not, it is certain that recent conflicts between the authority and the students have resulted in great loss of respect among the latter for the former."