The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

No Headline

Part of the talk and speculation which the resignation of Goodrich from the captaincy of the 'Varsity crew has aroused, has, thanks to several of the daily papers, taken the form of accusations against the Athletic Committee for arbitrary action in removing Goodrich from his position. It is hardly necessary to say that such gossip is not only entirely unfounded, but exhibits a woeful ignorance of the machlnery of Harvard athletic management. The Athletic Committee, as we have already pointed out several times, exercises a guiding and advisory influence, leaving the execution of details to the captains and coaches of the several teams. A 'Varsity captain having his plan of campaing approved by the Athletic Committee, is virtually the monarch of all he surveys in the exercise of his office, and has the power to b eas arbitrary as he pleases, even to the extent of refusing to accept the advice of the coach. Such is his privilege, and to accept or relinquish it is his own affair. Any man who is in a position to discuss Goodrich's resignation, must appreciate that with him alone lay the option of his withdrawal.