The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained

Armed Individuals Sighted in Harvard Square Arraigned

Harvard Students Form Coalition Supporting Slave Photo Lawsuit's Demands

Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square

107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

FACT AND RUMOR.

Cornell has a rifle club.

Marks are out in English 1.

Boston University has 555 students.

Scarlet fever prevails at Oxford, and complaint is made because there is no college hospital.

A member of '85 has distinguished himself by obtaining the following marks on his mid-years, 30, 20, 17 and 7.

The Boston Journal of Friday contains an article on "Temperance Society," describing the Total Abstinence Society.

The marks in N. H. I., given out yesterday morning, covered the recitations of the last half-year as well as the midyear examination. The marks ran high as a rule.

Pictures of the lacrosse team for the last two or three years have been procured and will be hung up in the meeting room of the gymnasium in a few days.

There are twenty-two men in training for the freshman crew at Columbia and the Acta expresses itself hopefully as to the result of the race on the Charles next June with the Harvard freshmen.

Seven of Brown's last year's nine are to play again this season. The Brunonian says: "Present indications are that we shall enter next season's contest with good prospects of success. The nine practises daily in the gymnasium. A second nine has also been organized and numerous practice games have already been arranged with local nines."

The late Prof. Henry Smith, of Oxford, was so unwilling to inflict pain that he even hesitated to find fault with lazy and stupid pupils. On one occasion two undergraduates of his college brought him their exercises for correction. To the first he merely said, "Thank you, Mr. A., that is very nice, very nice indeed." To the second when he anxiously inquired as to the possible fate of his companion in an approaching examination, "O your friend Mr. A.? He, too, will be ploughed."-[Ex.

The Total Abstinence Society intend requesting Mr. Samuel Longfellow, brother of the poet, and General John L. Swift, deputy collector of Boston, to present addresses at Harvard. When Wendell Phillips was asked, he declared his willingness to speak, saying that when he was in college certain students attempted to start a similar society, but, since at that time he did not feel the same interest in the cause which he now does, he neglected to aid them. For this reason he felt as if he owed a debt which could only be repaid by helping as much as possible the present society.

Walking simply and of itself, says Dr. Sargent, is of no value as an exercise, but a spirited walk is one of the finest of all physical exercises. If a man enters heartily into this exercise he will be benefited by it. Carriage riding as a passive exercise is good for one of fine physique and good former physical development. Horseback riding is an excellent exercise for circulation, as very little of the nervous energy is being expended. For a person who uses the mind excessively, however, this form of exercise is not good, as it produces nervousness. Swimming is, without exception, one of the finest of all physical exercises. It develops especially the lower portion of the chest, the legs and arms. Running, at a regular and fixed pace; boxing, to teach one to keep the temper under adverse circumstances; rowing, and canoeing, to strengthen the upper part of the thorax and chest, are useful. The benefit to be derived from regular practice in a gymnasium, by which the mind and nerve-centres are so trained that they have a certain amount of control over the body, and while the muscles may give out, this mental power when once obtained by physical training will never be lost, is of the greatest account.