The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

No Headline

The December number of the Graduates' Magazine contains some very pointed remarks on the absence about the college of any memorial tablets to mark places of historic interest. As the writer says, "Certainly much interest and charm, and much stimulus to high thought and noble life, are lost to the students at Harvard who never wake to the fact that it is their privilege to pass three or four years amid scenes dignified by the recollections of great men."

In our soberer moments probably most of us have felt something of the influence referred to. But it would surely be immeasurably stronger if there were something to remind us constantly of the men who have lived and worked here before us. In a few rooms in the older buildings there are portraits of former occupants who have become distinguished. These portraits have invariably, we believe, been purchased by appreciative students and left with the request that they be allowed to remain. Had this plan been more commonly followed who can doubt the pleasure to present and future generations which would have resulted?