PRINCETON SCHOOL OF PHILOSOPHY.

The alumni of Princeton College have been making strenuous efforts to raise the money required to found the three new professorships in the proposed School of Philosophy. It is believed that if the graduates of the college succeed in raising $60,000 to endow one chair, to be known as the "alumni chair," the money to endow the other two chairs will be given without delay. A committee of the alumni have prepared a circular setting forth the generally prosperous condition of the college and requesting gifts for the "alumni chair."

The death of Professor Atwater and the resignation of Professor Shields have materially decreased the teaching force of the college. The proposed "alumni chair" is to offer instruction in the branches formerly taught by these instructors and to form a part of the School of Philosophy.

"To thoroughly equip the School of Philosophy three new professorships will be absolutely essential. . . . It has been intimated that a serious obstacle in the way of gifts from generous friends of the college is the seeming apathy of the graduates of Princeton themselves, of whom it has been said that they make no effort whatever to exhibit their faith in the institution by pecuniary aid. There is reason to believe that this impression once removed by the endowment of one chair by the alumni, the funds to endow the other two chairs ($120,000 additional) will be forthcoming without delay."

A sub-committee, who have had in charge the resignation of Pres. McCosh, as well as the proposed School of Philosophy, have decided to recommend to the board of trustees that the office of dean of faculty be temporarily established, and that Professor Murray be appointed to fill the position. They have so adjusted the duties that Dr. McCosh will be able to continue as president of the college and also organize the School of Philosophy. Dr. McCosh will be at the head of the college and also at the head of the new school, while he will be relieved of some of the onerous duties of his present office.