THE UNIVERSITY BULLETIN.

The April number of the University Bulletin has just appeared, with more than the usual amount of statistical information and matter of record in relation to the college. From the official records of the corporation herein contained, we learn that the terms of the vote which is the outcome of all the prolonged agitation for fire-escapes in the college buildings is simply: "Voted, that the superintendent of buildings be directed to provide each room above the second floor of the college dormitories with a strong iron staple or ring, securely fastened near a window, and suitable for the attachment of a rope in case of fire, with the exception of such rooms as may be otherwise provided with two ways of escape."

From the same source we learn "that all designs for windows to be placed in Memorial Hall must be satisfactory to Prof. William R. Ware and Henry Van Brunt, Esq., the architects of the building, but that the corporation wish to adhere to the original plan, which allowed figures to be either typical or historical. That Messrs. Ware and Van Brunt are requested to prepare, for the use of the class committees, rules in relation to the design and execution of windows, and to send a copy thereof to the board."

The department of "University Notes" in this issue of the Bulletin are very full and interesting. A description of the new Jefferson Physical Laboratory, which was substantially copied into a recent number of the Advertiser, appear, as well as notes on the observatory and the Agassiz Museum. From the latter we find that "the zoological collection is now so far arranged that the public can fairly estimate the advantages of our present distribution of limited exhibitions in comparatively small rooms devoted to special objects, as compared with the usual museum arrangements, by which all the collections of an establishment are thrown open to visitors, without any attempt to select the more important or interesting objects, or to arrange them in an instructive manner. As soon as the new geological and biological laboratories of the corner-piece are occupied, probably at the commencement of the next academic year, the same arrangement will be extended to the geological and palaeoutological collections."

The list of accessions to the library is unusually full, and shows the rapid pace at which Harvard's collection is growing.

The accessions in the department of antiquities and folk lore are particularly interesting, several old and scare titles being here entered. It is pleasant to note that Prof. Childs' "English and Scottish Popular Ballads" occupies a prominent place in this list. The library possesses No. 197. There are only 1000 copies.

Under history the important collection in thirty-seven volumes, by Barriere & Lescure, of "Memoires Relatifs a l'Histoire de France Pendant le 18e Siecle," is catalogued in detail. Recent class reports of the classes of '57 and '62 are in the library.

We are somewhat surprised to find that the "Cyclist and Wheel Annual" is entered here under the head of "Law and Sociology." What occult relation there may exist between the two subjects it is beyond our powers to divine.

The classified index to maps is still continued in the Bulletin, as well as the full and learned Bibliography of Ptolemy's geography. Both these catalogues are still to be continued in future numbers.