ADRIEN JACQUINOT.

Adrien Jacquinot, assistant professor of French in the university, died of pneumonia in Cambridge on Friday night between 9 and 10 o'clock after a three days' illness. Mr. Jacquinot was born at Darnay in the province of Vosges, France. His family belonged to what is known as the magistrate class, and had been officially connected with the government for generations. He was sent to Paris to educate himself for the law, where he studied with Genin, the celebrated philologist who was a personal friend of his family. While with him, he assisted in writing several articles in the "Nouvelle Biographic General." Later he held a position in the pension department which he left to come to America. He came to New York in 1857 and for four years was instructor in Fezandie's school in that city. He was appointed instructor at Harvard in 1871 and assistant professor in 1876. He is best known as the author of a series of articles on Harvard in the "Revue de l'enseignement public" which work as a whole is the best account of Harvard and its tendencies. He is supposed to have left notes full enough to allow of the completion of the work. He won the degree of LL. D. in France where the degree is a degree taken in course, but as this degree is only an honorary title in this country; he never used it, fearing that it might be misinterpreted. In the death of Prof. Jacquinot, the college has lost an instructor, whom it will be difficult to replace. Particularly is this the case with French 4, a course which he created and in which he was especially interested. The peculiar merit of his teaching lay in the fact that he was so wrapped up in his subject that he underestimated the importance of everything else.

His funeral took place on Tuesday. The procession left his home on North Avenue, where no service was held about 3.30 p.m., and drove to Appleton Chapel. The bearers, Messrs. Bocher, LeBoulanger, C. L. Smith, C. J. White, Levy and Gale, preceded the hearse and the mourners followed both in entering and leaving the chapel. The service was by Dr. Peabody and the music was under the charge of Mr. Locke. After the ceremony, the procession drove to Mount Auburn where the remains were placed in a tomb near the grave of Count Pourtales. At the grave a short prayer was offered by Dr. Toy.