WASHINGTON AND LEE UNIVERSITY.

General G. W.C. Lee is the president of this famous university. It was founded by Gen. Washington. Gen. Robert E. Lee became its president soon after the late war, and on his death was succeeded by his son, the president incumbent. It is a noble institution. Young men by the hundred from all parts of the country have graduated from it. Its alumni embrace a catalogue of distinguished men some of whom are prominent today in the education of a Northern lady a fine library building has been erected which accommodates 75,000 volumes. The university chapel is a place of interest. It stands directly opposite the university itself and was erected by the late General Lee. Behind it rises the Lee Masoleum, recently built under the personal supervision of General G. W. C. Lee.

It is a substantial edifice of brick and granite, containing on the ground floor twenty-two solid granite crypts for the remains of the members of the Lee family. Mrs. General Lee's dust now reposes in one of them. The body of General Lee lies beneath a splendid costly white marble sarcophagus, surmounted with a full length recumbent statue of the general himself. This beautiful piece of sculpture is located in what may be called the second story. It is a spacious apartment of solid stone, the walls of which are paneled to receive appropriate inscriptions, and is lighted from the roof. The sarcophagus is placed so as to be visible from the interior of the chapel. The wall back of the pulpit was removed and a graceful arch formed, through which the monument is seen to great advantage. General Lee is represented as lying on his military cot, with a spread thrown over him. His right arm rests upon his breast, and the left hand lies upon the hilt of his sword. The artist, Valantini, and the material used in its construction are all American. A heavy curtain hangs before the arch to hide the monument on occasions when the chapel is used for other than religious or commencement exercises. (Progress.