MODERN LANGUAGES.

During the vacation about forty professors of modern languages from the principal institutions of learning in the country met in convention at Columbia College, with a view to establishing an association for the purpose of promoting the study of modern languages in American colleges. Among those present were Professors Cook and Lutz of Harvard, Lounsbury and Bendelari of Yale, Elliott and Wood of the Johns Hopkins University, Richardson of Amherst, Easton of the University of Pennsylvania, Huss of Princeton, Walter of the University of Michigan, and Smith of Columbia. President Carter of Williams was chosen chairman, and a committee appointed to draw up a plan for the permanent organization of the society. A resolution to the effect that it was the sense of the meeting that no college should grant the degree of A. B. to any student who could not read with facility French and German, was discussed but no definite decision was reached. The subject of introducing a system of conversation in German and French as a part of every college education, and the position of modern language in the requirements for entering college occasioned much discussion. Upon the advice of the executive committee the convention adjourned for one year, when a permanent organization will be effected and a definite action adopted.