Canoeing.

Among the various sports shich have lately sprung into existence in this country, there is none that promises to become more popular or to give more satisfaction to those who engage in it than canoeing. After an existence of scarcely more than a dozen years on this side of the water, it has taken a firm hold, and the number of its devotees is rapidly increasing. Combining, as it does, the requisites of exercise, amusement, and excitement, it offers strong inducements to lovers of out-door sports. The popularity of the sport is shown by the existence of the American Canoe Association, which now has a membership of over eight hundred, which is rapidly increasing. This association holds annual meets, which are attended by a large number of gentlemen from both the United States and Canada, and at which canoe races of all varieties are held, the competition being very great. The A. C. A. meet was held this year on one of the prettiest of the Thousand Islands in the river St. Lawrence, and was one of the most enjoyable affairs of the kind ever held. Several hundred canoeists, with canoes of all models and builds, camped on the island for two weeks, and from fifteen to twenty races were held. The races were uniformity attended with great excitement, as all the leading clubs of the country were well represented; and the sailing races, in one of which there were over thirty canoes entered, made a remarkably pretty sight.

It is only recently that canoeing has obtained a foothold at Harvard. The Harvard Canoe Club was organized last spring, and has thus far had a very successful spring regatta, and brought canoeing to the notice of a number of men who were led to take it up. The club was represented at the A. C. A. meet by three of its officers, though it was one of the youngest clubs in the association. The Canoe Club will soon hold a fall regatta, and it is hoped that a good number of entries will be obtained. We would urge upon the members of the college who desire a sport for amusement, as well as for the display of athletic prowess, the advantages of canoeing. There are few more exciting amusements than sailing a canoe. nor are there many which demand more skill, The skill displayed by the more experienced canoe sailors is, to say the least, remarkable, and the feats that can be performed in a canoe are such as are not dreamed of by the beginner. Paddling a canoe is one of the best general exercises, and there is no pleasanter way of spending a few weeks in the open air than is found in a canoe cruise.

The Canoe Club is at present made up mostly from the upper classes and from graduates, and it is hoped that men from the lower classes will not be slow in availing themselves of the advantages offered by the club. It is hoped that the membership may be much increased, and that next year the Harvard Canoe Club may make a good showing, and compare favorably with the other clubs at the A. C. A. meet at Grindstone Island.

GERMAINE.