The New Trainer.

Mr. Lathrop, who has received the appointment as trainer for track athletics and all the sports undertaken by the H. A. A. is well-known in amateur athletic circles, not only in Boston where he has lived, but throughout the country wherever any interest is taken in manly athletic games. One of the founders of the Union Athletic Club, he has been one of its most active and successful members. Until recently he has taken part in their games and has won prizes in almost every kind of running, jumping or throwing contest. He is not unknown to Cambridge men for at many of the H. A. A. meets he has kindly acted as timer. His timing is recognized by the National Amateur Athletic Association and all records which he certifies to are considered good. He timed Evert J. Wendell, '82, when he ran 100 yards in 10 seconds and so gained a place as one of the best on record men at that distance. Mr. Lathrop has previous to the present time been in business in Boston, but will now give his whole attention to the new calling which the Harvard authorities have offered him.