A Voice From '88.

The following startling appeal to the justice and patriotism of the college is worthy of the closest consideration. It is seldom that we have the pleasure of meeting with such an ingenious confession of political principles. '88 is certainly alive to the

EDITORS DAILY CRIMSON : - In Tuesday's issue I saw a Democratic notice proposing an address to Gov. Cleveland. Now if this is sent, every Democratic paper in the Union will print it with the heading "Harvard for Cleveland." Harvard, however, has voted for Blaine by a clear majority. If the University had an electoral vote it would be cast for the Republican nominee. Let those therefore who are Republicans prepare an offset to the Democratic address by drawing up a set of stirring resolutions to be sent to the Knight of Maine. Let us give reasons for the faith that is in us. Let our endorsement be full and fair of that party which crushed the most stupendous rebellion of history, which freed 4,000,000 slaves, which put the country on the most glorious financial basis of modern times, which inaugurated an era of unparalleled prosperity, and which for twenty-five years has not only kept pace with, but has led the progressive spirit of the times. Let us show what we think of James G. Blaine who is today "the foremost man of all the world." Let us prove that we reason and reason correctly. Let us show that we weigh truth against slander. Let us declare that the verdict of his state is sufficient for us who are not "more holy" than our fellows. When twelve men pronounce a man guiltless of crime, we accept their judgment as correct. What then shall we say of vindication such as Maine has given Blaine, when the people of a sovereign state, regardless of party, creed or condition, rose up and showed their love, their trust, their faith, by 20,000 majority ! Let us in these resolutions give evidence of our respect for the only man who in the history of the Republic held no public office at the time of his nomination, a fact which ranks James G. Blaine with "the great of old." Finally let us lay our leaf of laurel on the shrine of him who for twenty years as statesman, scholar, and public man, has been the ideal and the impersonation of the genius of our institutions.

R. B. M. '88.