The Trip to Canada.

The University football Team reached Montreal Friday morning, November 7. They were met there by Captain Elder of the McGill College team, who stated that the McGill team had decided to play Harvard a match if Captain Kimball very much desired it; but said that they would rather not play on account of having an important match with Toronto on the following day. For this reason and because the McGill men did not understand our rules no game was arranged. Instead the McGill men entertained our team by taking them through the college buildings and showing them points of interest about the city. Early on the following day the team left Montreal for Ottawa, which they reached at noon. They were met at the depot by Captain Riley of the Ottawa college team, and driven in a barge to the Russell House where they had lunch. After lunch they were driven to the grounds of the Marquis of Lansdowne, about a mile from the hotel, where the game was to be played.

The game was called promptly at three o'clock, His Excellency the Governor-General placing the ball. This is the first time the Governor-General has ever placed the ball for a foot ball game, although he has placed the ball for Lacrosse in one or two important matches.

THE OTTAWA GAME.Harvard won the toss and took advantage of a slight wind blowing directly toward the field. During the first three-quarters our rush line played a very steady game, tackling well and seldom losing the ball. Kimball by a pretty run secured a touch down. Shortly after Gilman got another. Goals were kicked from both. Homans at this point of the game was injured, while making a play which forced Ottawa to touch down for safety, and Thayer took his place.

In the second three-quarters Kimball made another touch down, and kicked a goal from a drop kick after the ball was punted out; but the referee said "no goal" much to every one's surprise. Bemis next made a touch down, but failed to kick a goal. After some very pretty rushing and passing by the forwards, Finney dragged Riley over the line and forced him to make a safety touch down. Soon after this the Ottawa rush line knocked Kimball down while trying for a "fair catch," and by dribbling the ball down the field secured a touch down in spite of the unaided efforts of Peabody to prevent it, unaided because most of the rush line were busy trying to pursuade the referee that a foul had been made, instead of attending to their work. Although the interference was very evident still it was not allowed, and a goal was kicked from the touch down.

The small score is largely due to the condition of the field which was very slippery, making it almost impossible for our men to stand up, while the Ottawa team had lacrosse shoes, well adapted for such ground. Also much time was wasted in foolish disputes because neither the referee nor the Ottawa men thoroughly understood the game. It is safe to say however, that had the Ottawa team had a chance to practice one game the score would be somewhat different, for their rushers tackled very well, (although generally below the waist) and got through quickly and blocked well, while their backs were especially good at running and dodging. Their weak points were passing and picking up the ball, but in other respects their team was a strong one as is shown from the fact that they beat the Ottawa City team and played a draw with the Brittanias.

After the game our team was entertained at dinner by the Faculty of the college of Ottawa, at which the President of the Canadian Foot Ball Association presided. In his after dinner remarks, Mr. McIntire, the President of the association, congratulated Harvard on her victory, and said that he had never seen prettier playing and hoped to see our game introduced into Canada in the near future. Capt. Kimball after thanking the Ottawa men for their hospitality, proposed three cheers which were given with a will, after which the team took the train for Montreal, which they reached at midnight.

By having a special car attached to a freight train the team were enabled to reach St. Albans Thursday night. Monday morning they started for Hanover where they arrived at 1.30, having just time to dine, dress and reach the field by half-past two.

THE DARTMOUTH GAME.The Dartmouth rush line averaged 175 lbs. and have been playing strictly since they played Yale. There were no points of special interest in the game. The score stood at the end 29 points to 0 in our favor. Kimball kicked a goal from the field, four touchdowns were made, from three of which goals were kicked, and Dartmouth made one safety. Our rush line tackled well and got down on the ball together. Finney and Hurd rushed finely while Phillips played a steady, reliable game throughout. Kimball made several pretty runs and dodged very well, while Peabody tackled splendidly. The halfbacks were, however, lamentably weak in kicking, apparently using very little head word. The centre rush should snap the ball back without wasting so much time, and the quarterback should take in the situation better and know more surely what is the correct thing to do with the ball. If the rush line had not talked so much to the referee and to their opponents their play would have been better than any of their previous work this year.

The Dartmouth team lacked snap and their backs did not kick well but relied too much on running. Otherwise their play was good and the game gave excellent practice to our men. After dining at the Dartmouth House the team went to White River Junction, and there took the train at 3.30 in the morning for Boston where they arrived Thursday morning, thus ending

trip that gave them much needed practice, and was most enjoyable in every way.