Fact and Rumor.

There will be cuts in the third hour section in English A today.

Princeton's new base ball cage will be open for use February 10.

Assignments of the Loan Fund for this year are now payable at the Bursar's office.

The mid-year examination in Engineering 7 will be held on Wednesday, January 29.

Norman Hapgood, '90, has been elected editor-in-chief of the Monthly for the next half-year.

The Yale alumni association of Boston will hold its annual dinner at the Parker House, January 30.

Mr. Lowell, author of "Hessians in the American Revolution" attended the lecture in History 1 yesterday.

The annual winter concert of the Yale Glee and Banjo clubs will be given on January 20. The receipts will be given to the University Boat club.

About twenty men appeared at the Yale gymnasium to try for the freshman crew last Saturday. Last year there were fully sixty candidates.

Professor Cook will give a lecture in Chemistry A at 7.30 o'clock the evening before the mid-year examination. There have only been eleven lectures in the course instead of the usual fifteen.

The receipts of the Yale Foot Ball association during the past season were $8,900 and the expenses $4,750. The profits will be divided between the Yale navy and the field corporation.

The Sumner prize has been awarded but the award cannot be announced until it has received the sanction of the Academic council. There were only two competitors.

Mr. M. A. Black, '90, has been at home in Cleveland during the last three months but is expected to take the mid-year examinations. He will graduate this year.

The meeting of the Faculty yesterday afternoon was a special one, and the amount of business prevented a consideration of the freshman petition. It will come up at the regular meeting of next Tuesday.

Blue books for the mid year examinations in English A must be handed in at one of the next two lectures. Students who fail to do this will lose a part of their time in the examination room.

After the mid-years a series of conference meetings will be devoted to the different professions. Judge Jeremiah Smith, of Dover, will speak at one of the meetings on "The Law." Theodore Roosevelt has also accepted an invitation to conduct one of the meetings.

Blue books for the mid-year examination in Chemistry A must be handed in at the lecture tomorrow, January 16; no books will be received at the examination room. If addressed postal cards are enclosed in the books the marks will be received much sooner. Members of the freshman class are requested not to call at the house of Professor Cooke.

The library of Yale university has been presented by J, S. Morgan with a copy of the Fac-Similes of Manuscripts Relative to America from 1763 to 1783, in the archives of England, France, Holland and Spain. Two hundred copies only of the work will be printed and the plates will be destroyed as quickly as the complete work is issued. The work will comprise 100 volumes, the cost is $2,500, and ten years will be required to complete it.