WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY.

A letter from Wesleyan says that the present number of students, two hundred and one, is larger than ever before. A new system of punishments has been instituted. Under it several students holding free scholarships have been deprived of the benefit arising from them for the present term; but no suspensions have been reported. Fortnightly, faculty receptions entirely informal have been introduced. The first was last Saturday, and the custom promises to become quite popular. It has become evident that the boating interests there are necessarily to remain at a standstill, unless somebody puts his hand in his pocket for a new boathouse and various other requisites. Whether the alumni are on the point of making such sacrifice will soon be shown by a circular letter calling for funds for new accommodations on the river and for the maintenance of the crew.

The success of the Glee Club has been far in advance of anyone's expectations. A chorus of sixteen men, under the excellent training of their leader, Mr. J. S. Camp, of '78, has been everywhere received with high praise. The club gave concerts at Meriden, Newark, Wilkesbarre, Springfield and Worcester. Encouraged by the receptions which they received, the club is planning a second trip for the spring term.

A new hall has been built for the Wesleyan chapter of Alpha Delta Phi, and is ready for plastering. It will, no doubt, be occupied in season for the summer reception on Tuesday of commencement week. The building is of brick and wood, with a slight suggestion of "Queen Anne" about it, and is in some respects superior to any society hall at Wesleyan.