COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS, BOSTON UNIVERSITY.

The College of Liberal Arts, Boston University, opened the present collegiate year in its recently completed building, under very auspicious circumstances. The college building, a large and commodious one, fronting on Somerset street, is a model of convenience, and, located as it is in the very heart of the city, the facilities offered the student in various directions are very great. It is equipped with the most modern appliances, and contains numerous rooms for recitation, lectures and study, a chapel, a large hall, and two gymnasia. The new students this fall numbered about fifty.

The students of the college are instructed in a very extended and liberal course by a large faculty. The system followed is that of "election by terms." By this method the average student is less likely to become a mere literary grazer than he would be were he, at the commencement of his sophomore year, without any clear idea either of what he ought, or of what he would desire, to study, brought face to face with a broad and unrestricted course extending over three years, and told to pick and choose. The accommodations, however, for those desiring to pursue special courses, or to pursue the regular one in a special manner, are unsurpassed. The degrees of Bachelor of Philosophy and Bachelor of Arts are conferred by the university to the graduates of this college, no honorary degrees ever being given.

The college is notably fortunate in the matter of free scholarships, the present number being sixty-five. A gift of $40,000 has just been received by the college for the establishment of a professorship to be called the "Emma Speare Huntington Professorship," after the daughter of the donor, Hon. Alden Spear.

A monthly paper, The Beacon, and an annual, The Senior, are published by the students. There are six societies, two literary and four secret.

The secret societies which have organized chapters here are, the Alpha Phi, Beta Theta Pi, Theta Delta Chi and Kappa Gamma.