PRINCETON VOTES FOR BOATING.

The largest mass meeting held by Princeton students for several years met in the drill-room of the gymnasium this afternoon to reconsider the boating question. After the misfortunes of the crew last year, the opposition to boating was prevalent. However, the subject was much discussed, and, after some strong opposing articles in the Princetonian, a meeting was called to elect officers of the boating association and to consider the advisability of supporting a crew in the college. The meeting resulted in a unanimous decision in favor of the sport. The following issue of the Princetonian contained a leading article condemnatory of the meeting and its action was sustained by a number of letters from the Alumni condemning boating. This policy was pursued by the paper through two numbers, and, as a result, and to afford the college another opportunity to express its opinion, the meeting this afternoon was called. Arguments were made at some length by speakers on both sides. Mr. Harlan, '84, the managing editor of the Princetonian, announced that the ground taken by the paper was an expression of his own views, rendered without consultation with his colleagues. It was also stated that two-thirds of the members of the board were in favor of boating. A vote resulted in the sustaining of the boating association. The excitement caused by the Princetonian's campaign has been very great. The votes in opposition numbered a scant dozen, and the position of boating in the college is rendered more stable than ever. About 40 men are now in training for the crew under the direction of Mr. Bird, '85. [Ex.