THE DOCUMENTS IN THE CASE.

"LET US INVESTIGATE THIS STATEMENT IN THE LIGHT OF FACTS."-NEWS.

We present below letters from the managers of the '85, '86 and '87 freshman foot-ball teams bearing on statements made by the Yale News in regard to the management of the freshman foot-ball games of the last three years. As the News in speaking of previous statements on the subject in an editorial column, cries out "Let us look at this statement in the light of facts," similar communications from the managers of the corresponding organizations at Yale would go far towards explaining the true inwardness of the charges made by the News.

Editors Herald-Crimson :-An editorial in the Yale News has been brought to my notice, and in justice to '85 I wish to make several corrections in the following statements in regard to the freshmen '85 foot-ball game :

"In '85 our freshman team wished to play the game at the Polo Grounds in New York, but the Harvard team would not assent to this, but named Spring field or Cambridge as the only two places where they would consent to play. This was a delicate way of obliging our team to play at Cambridge for the simple reason that the receipts at Springfield would have been by no means sufficient to pay expenses ; while at Cambridge they were reasonably large. It is worthy of notice also, that no offer was made to pay half the expenses of our team to Cambridge, although in view of the fact that the Harvard team had no travelling expenses to pay, and yet were to share equally in the gate money, this would have been no more than fair."

In freshman year there was the usual trouble in arranging the game with Yale. As Yale desired either to play the game at New Haven or New York. Our eleven objected to playing in either place, as they did not think it just that they should play in New York where they would receive but little support from their class on account of the distance from Boston. Yale, however, would have had a great advantage on account of the short distance from New Haven. I then stated that we would play at Springfield, which place is generally selected as neutral ground. I cannot see why the share of the receipts of the game at Springfield would not have been as fair for one team as the other. Yale refused to play the game at Cambridge, but accepted the Boston base ball grounds, where the game was played, and where, contrary to the statement in the editorial, one half of their travelling expenses was paid by me.

B. B. THAYER, JR.Manager '85 F. B. T.