TENNIS.

Mr. Snyder of the New York firm, who makes so many lawn tennis goods, says of tennis during the coming season: "The Inter-collegiate Association have now adopted our ball, as well as the National Association, and all matches and tournaments will have to be played with it. This renders it necessary that all players should practice with the ball, so that they may be accustomed to it. This is more than a trade question. Putting aside the preference which an American player would naturally give to an American ball, the question of climate comes in. Ayres' balls are made for an English climate, and do not stand the extremes to which our manufacture is exposed and adapted. A ball will have one bound with the thermometer at 40 degrees, and another with it at 90 degrees. We have now adopted Ayres' plan of under-stitching, and our balls will not cut and tear on gravel.

"With regard to costumes, the more favorite is a white flannel suit and trousers, not knickerbockers.

"We are making some very handy rackets, adapted to ladies, and I can tell you our store is quite a picture gallery sometimes on a fine afternoon. I don't know whether it is that handsome women play tennis or playing tennis produces handsome women, but it must be one or the other."