THE HARVARD COLOR.

Even to a superficial observer, it is noticeable that the colors which pass for crimson are of widely different shades. It seems to me that a college color should be as invariable as the college seal. Certainly it would give more an air of unity, and, on the whole, a better appearance, to have the crimson about the various teams and crews of the same shade. An account of the origin of our color would be of interest, and would increase, I think, a desire to have a uniform shade.

It was when the first university crew was organized, in 1856, that any color was worn. It then consisted of a scarlet band around the caps of the oarsmen. This was adopted also the following year ; but the university crew of '58 decided to wear handkerchiefs, instead of caps, and, after considerable discussion, chose blue for their color. The Beacon Cup race was soon to come off, and one of the crew, failing to find handkerchiefs of the desired color, purchased six Chinese silk handkerchiefs instead, which were nearly crimson. This continued to be the color for several years.

In 1865, when the class races were instituted, each crew chose its own color, and the famous class of '56 chose magenta. About this time the College Union Regatta took place at Worcester ; and as magenta was the prevailing color there, those of the university crew who had not brought along their own colors, could procure nothing but magenta. They, however, caused their color to be put down on the program as "red." The color was therefore easily confounded with the college crimson from newspaper accounts of the races. A full meeting of the undergraduates was held May 6th, 1875, when crimson was formally adopted as the college color.

NURO.