THE INTER-COLLEGIATE BOAT RACES.

THE THAMES RIVER ONCE MORE THE SCENE OF ACTION.

The university eight, accompanied by Colonel Bancroft and the managers, after leaving Boston on the one o'clock train on Friday arrived at New London late in the afternoon, and at once took up their abode in the "Harvard quarters," especially built for them several years ago. There they were immediately taken in charge of by Churchill, the man who has catered for the Harvard crews ever since the eight-oared races at New London were inaugurated. With Saturday, the regular crew life began, the main object of existence for the men being, of course the work in their boat on the river. The crew are all reported as in the best of health except Mumford, who has a slight cold, contracted while in Cambridge, but not at all serious. Saturday two rows were taken, one of these on time, but the result was not made public. On Saturday afternoon, the Columbia crew, who are also at the river, came up and called on Harvard. Captain Meikleham and Captain Perkins agreed to invite Mr. F. G. Brown, of the Nassau Boat Club to act as referee at the coming race between Columbia and Harvard on the 18th. Mr. Brown, as will be remembered, acted in the same capacity last year, with satisfaction to both parties. On returning home from the evening pull, our crew had a lively brush with the Columbia freshmen, in which the latter, although beaten, showed themselves a good crew, and one likely to make it warm for the Harvard freshmen when they meet on the 25th. Sunday the crew spent the day with Mr. Gardner Greene Hammond, at his place just outside of New London. The faults of the crew are already disappearing somewhat, and if they make the rapid improvement on the Thames which they did last year, they ought to be in fine condition by racing day.

In proportion to their experience, it would appear that the Columbia freshmen are a better crew than the university. However, the latter eight with their pretty stroke make good time and row fairly well together. They are coached by Mr. Jasper Goodwin, who uses the launch "Carrie Goodwin," for the purpose. The men are all new in a university boat and are rather light.

The Columbia freshmen are lighter than our men from '87 by about ten pounds on the average, and one or two of their men are light for even a two mile pull. They lack the regularity of their university eight, but will have a week longer in which to prepare themselves The Yale crew are expected at their quarters on Wednesday, in time to see the Columbia-Harvard race, which they expect to follow in their own launch. In this way they will be able to form some idea of the style of rowing which their rivals pursue. Capt. "Bob Cook" will be with them as coach most of the time while they remain at the river. They are still imperfect in their new stroke and will require much attention at his hands. They average at present only about 166 pounds which is over six pounds less than the crew of last year, but that was a phenomenal crew. Cowles is still inexperienced on account of his long absence from the boat while troubled with an abscess. The men are working hard and are confident of pulling a good race.