HARVARD REPORTERS SEVERELY CENSURED.

EDITORS DAILY CRIMSON. - May, I trespass a little upon your space to make a few remarks on a subject, which, so far as I see, has as yet been but gingerly handled? The day after the "rush" between '88 and '89, harmless and good-natured as it was, the Boston press, notably the Herald, was filled with highly sensational accounts of the affair; these statements were at once copied over the country under the title of "Ruffianism at Harvard." As a specimen of the incorrect statements that got afloat, I received yesterday a letter from an anxious relative asking about the condition of the man who was "very seriously injured in the rush." Now Yale and Princeton have received the same ill-treatment from the press, but they have not the same grounds for complaint as we, - for the statements which appear in the Boston press are written by Harvard men, while their libels are written by outsiders. I believe that the time has come for putting a stop to this, especially when one Harvard man stoops to make as cowardly a parade of another one's name as was done by this same correspondent in the report of the freshman class meeting. It seems to me, at least, that when a man assails another man's reputation in the public press and describes his alma mater in an untrue light, he should be made to perceive in the plainest manner possible that he has been violating the traditions of good breeding, and that the rest of the college think so.

* * *