Practice of the Nine on Holmes.

A large number of students gathered on Holmes' yesterday afternoon to watch the practice of the nine. The weather was a trifle cool for spectators, but for the players nothing better could be asked. Captain Phillips divided the men into two nines, and a scrub game was played. Numerous changes were made during the game, but at the beginning the following was the composition of the two sides: - Chamberlain,' '86, p., Young, '89, c., Smith, '86, lb., H. Coolidge, '87, 2b., Holden, '88, 3b., W. T. Gray, '87, s. s., Foster, '87, 1. f., Gardner, '86, c. f., Litchfield, '89, r. f., formed one side, and the other was made up by Austin, '88, p., Choate, '88,' c., Allen, '86, 1b., Phillips, '86, 2b., Weed, '86, 3b., Wiestling, '87, s. s., Nichols, '86, 1. f., Bingham, '89, c. f., and Ferry, '86, r. f. Afterwards some of these players gave way to Edgerly, '86, Woodbury, '86, Litchfield, '87, and Willard, '87. Young, '89 shows up well behind the bat; he holds fast to the ball, recovers quickly, and throws with considerable accuracy. He is a man of about Allen's build, and resembles him somewhat in his general style of catching. Various changes were made in pitchers, Ferry, '86, Litchfield, '87, and Bingham, '89, all tried their hand at it. Bingham is of short, stocky build, throws a very swift ball with sharp curves, and seems to possess a cool head. Litchfield, '89, is a brother of Litchfield, '87. He is a very good all-around player and will develope into an excellent catcher. Weed, '86, was away from college last year and has played ball but little in college. He, however, has the making of a good player. The other candidates are known to the college and need no special mention. The base-ball management will have no lack of material from which to select next spring.