Joan of Arc, OR THE OLD MAID OF NEW ORLEANS.

On Friday and Saturday were given the two theatrical performances of the Hasty Pudding Club for the benefit of the University Crew. Horticultural hall was filled to the last seat at each of the performances. The cast of characters was as follows :

Joan of Arc, a girl with no nonsense

about her, remarkable for never

having chewed gum, although

ultimately the victim of a gum

game, G. D. Cushing.

Charles the seventh, an impoverished monarch, yet who, strange as it may seem, possesses more dollars than sense, W. H. Baldwin.

Philip, Duke of Bergundy, the stuff that bank-cashiers are made of ; he gives up his country for the sake of filthy lucre, H. K. Swinscoe.

Pretzel, his German valet ; an interesting cuss, with a penchant for legerdemain, W. R. Heart.

Talbot, the whipped cream of English generals, R. P. Carroll.

Lionel, his aid-de-camp; a manslayer and a lady-killer. All he asks is a chance, W. K. Draper-Thibaut, Joan's papa, and a tassel on his daughter's apron string, G. C. Adams.

Lady Agnes, the fory horse-power behind the throne; Royal Charlie's patrician mash. Pray for him, C. H. Minot.

Amazons, Soldiers, Peasants, Gentlemen of Leisure and What-is-its, by the entire managerie.

The actors, managers, and writers, deserve great credit for the successful presentation of the play in a most finished manner. On Saturday, especially, everything passed off without a flaw, accident, or delay. The popular airs chosen for the songs proved to be taking, and were well rendered by the chorus, especially the "Ding Dong" song, given behind the scenes, at the beginning of the second act. The solos of Baldwin and of Carroll were effectively sung, and enjoyed by all. The strong part of the play, however, lay in the acting of Cushing, Hearst, and Swinscoe. These three gentlemen have an uncommon power of producing comic effect. Their superiority to the other performers was partly due to a careful avoidance, on their part, of all meaningless gesticulation. Swinscoe and Hearst immediately won the favor of the audience by their irresistible humor, and acrobatic movements. Cushing's ballet, in itself a work of art in that line, was made most ludicrous by the gigantic proportions assumed by his body in ballet costume. The low stage, and the level floor of the hall, however, prevented many from seeing the expert dancing. The audience from the very beginning caught the spirit of the performance, and looked upon it, as the actors themselves did, as a mirthful episode in student life.