Sophomore Class Dinner.

Perhaps no event in the first two years of a student's life at Harvard is looked forward to with greater anticipation, or back upon with greater pleasure than the sophomore dinner. It is the first social gathering of the class as a whole, and is universally regarded as the culmination of sophomoric spirit. Last Saturday evening, in accordance with the time honored custom, about 125 members of eighty-seven sat down to an excellent repast at the Quincy House. After the wants of the inner man had been satisfied, Mr. F. S. Coolidge, the president of the class, introduced as the orator of the evening Mr. W. B. Scofield. The subject of his oration was "Time" ; he had chosen this, he said, because it was the only one of the four grand themes-"Time," "Eternity," "The Universe," and "Eighty-seven"-of which he felt conpetent to treat. The oration throughout was witty and brilliant, and was in the orator's happiest vein.

The president then announced that Mr. F. D. Sherman, who had been chosen poet, had found, at almost the last moment, that he would not be able to attend; and that Mr. W. Wetherbee had kindly consented to write the poem. The frequent interruptions by applause showed how well the poem was received. The toast-master, Mr. J. L. Snelling, then called upon the following gentlemen to respond to toasts: "Class of '77, " Mr. F. S. Coolidge; " 'Varsity Crew," Mr. T. P. Burgess; "Varsity Nine," Mr. F. B. Wiestling; "Class Crew," Mr. R. F. Fiske; "Athletic Association," Mr. F. Remington; "Mott Haven Team," Mr. H. L. Clark; "CRIMSON," Mr. E. J. Rich; "Advocate," Mr. W. Wetherbee; "Lampoon," Mr. E. B. Stuart; "Sophomore Regions," Mr. W. Endicott; "Eighty eight," Mr. J. S. Whistler.

The toasts were interspersed by numerous songs, under the leadership of the chosister, Mr. W. E. Faulkner. Solos were pleasingly rendered by Messrs. W. E. Faulkner, G. A. Morrison, and C. Carroll. The committee of arrangements consisted of Messrs. G. Dexter, W. B. Scofield, J. S. Whistler, and W. C. Herron.